Jessie Lynn Giese, of Renewing Minds Therapy, is offering resources on Tele-Play Therapy
These trainings are free to anyone. If you are in a position where you can contribute a small amount to Jessie for her time putting on this training, here is a link to her Paypal account.
Jessie's thoughts on Transitioning Theraplay clients to tele-therapy:
I see this pattern being either a pattern of parent session then child session, OR half of the session with just the parent and then the child. I think how you structure hour time is based on a lot of variables of the parent able to be alone, as I have a lot of parents that we do late evening sessions online, after the kids go to bed. But if one parent can get away to get set up, then that maybe could work too! Flexibility is key
- I already do parent sessions on a consistent basis, teaching them about Polyvagal Theory, Whole Brain Child, Theraplay's four principles, and about their own attachment history impacts on their parenting. So the practice and feedback of being very present and regulated us already in motion with these tools.
- My first step Telehealth step is a parent session, reviewing what being fully present and regulated looks like with their child.
- Next, give them specific Theraplay activities, and do a full behavioral rehearsal with instructions, modeling, role play, and feedback of the activities. Some I lead remotely and some the parent leads. Structure a session for them, based on how long I think that child can handle doing activities without me present. Talk about location of house, toys needed, etc. Be creative!
- Set up cue words for my live feedback of correction and reinforcement, so the parent feels supported while it happens and not called out. (Again, I already do versions of this in session and have strong rapports with my client's parents, which is needed here).
- The next session is the Theraplay session with the child. If something went VERY well, consider giving that activity as homework, based on your clinical judgement.
- Then do another parent session, giving feedback and setting up the next Theraplay session.
Hope this helps! Feel free to use this post as Theraplay ideas and brainstorming!