What is Neurofeedback?
Low Energy Neurofeedback (LENS) is an FDA-approved form of neurotherapy designed to directly target the brain and Central Nervous System in people of all ages. LENS sends safe, imperceptible signals to the brain that interrupt dysfunctional brain wave patterns, while training the brain towards more optimum functioning. As the brain recognizes more efficient patterns, it will adopt them and create lasting change. Progress can be seen week to week in the client’s EEG results.
What is a LENS session like?
You will first complete an assessment that helps the therapist customize the treatment to what may work best for you. To use LENS, the therapist will apply sensors to the client’s scalp to record brainwave activity (EEG). After analyzing the client’s brainwaves, LENS will send faint electromagnetic impulses back to the brain that mirror optimal brain activity. Although these signals are far weaker than those generated by a wrist watch, they can trigger the brain to make profound, lasting changes. LENS works significantly faster than traditional neurofeedback and can target a wider range of issues. Treatment is typically 4 to 20 short sessions and clients often read, listen to music, engage in therapy, play a seated game throughout treatment since it does not require mental effort. Neurofeedback can be a treatment on its own, or administered during therapy. Potential side-effects are minimal and usually subside within a few hours. These side effects include feeling tired, wired, or spacy afterwards or getting a mild headache. Your therapist will make you aware of any responses in your assessment that put you at a higher risk for certain side effects and discuss your options (ex. Hx. of seizures, tics, migraines)
What does the LENS treat?
Our brains and Central Nervous Systems provide the foundation of our development, and LENS treatment has shown to be effective with a wide range of issues including Neurological disorders, anxiety, PTSD, mood disorders, motor delays and a range of other issues. LENS is considered a top treatment for certain seizure disorders, chronic migraines, somatic pain disorders and TBIs (even years after injury).
- PTSD: Trauma-related symptoms. Can also be used in preparation for, or during, EMDR Therapy. Anxiety: Worries, restlessness, rumination, agitation, distractibility, palpitations, and tremors.
- Neurological Differences: ADHD, ASD, Tourettes, CVS, Cerebral Palsy, etc.
- Cognition: Problems with memory, sequencing, attention, concentration, clarity and organization.
- Motivation: Problems initiating tasks, shifting from one activity to another and/or completing tasks. Reactivity: Hyper-reactivity, hypersensitivity, and multiple chemical sensitivities.
- Mood: Anger, depression, sadness, explosiveness.Motor Function: Problems with eye-hand coordination, lack of grace or balance, and tremors, motor delays related to TBI
- Pain: Brain-generated pain, vascular pain and Fibromyalgia pain.
- Other Health Concerns: Traumatic Brain Injury, seizure disorders, and migraines, Insomnia and other sleep disturbances